Leave Your Earwax Removal to the Experts
It can be so tempting to rid your ears of their earwax buildup yourself, especially when you feel as though it’s hurting your hearing. Unfortunately, it’s easy to make matters worse by doing it yourself—which many people learn after reaching for the cotton swabs. At our Missoula, Montana, clinic, Vibrant Hearing offers earwax management and removal services that are custom-made to meet your own unique needs and get you the best possible results.
Ear Blocked With Wax?
Earwax, which virtually everyone has to some degree, serves several important purposes:
- Lubricating and cleaning the ear canal
- Preventing the growth of bacteria and fungi
- Protecting the eardrum from dirt and water
- Keeping your ears from drying out
Earwax removal is typically a natural process, as your ears should push out the excess on their own. But it is also possible for your ear glands to become overly productive, which is how you’ll end up with earwax impaction. This can happen for a variety of reasons besides age and genetics. These include:
- Age (older people are more likely to have earwax buildup issues)
- Wearing hearing aids or earbuds
- Using earplugs
- Compressing earwax with cotton swabs, other tools, or your fingers
This blockage can cause more than just partial hearing loss and the sensation of feeling fullness in the ear. It can also lead to itchiness, odors, drainage, tinnitus, soreness, balance problems, and even vertigo. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s time to see the audiologists at Vibrant Hearing to determine if you need professional earwax removal.
Things to Know Before We Provide Your Earwax Solution
At Vibrant Hearing, we encourage our patients to develop healthy hearing habits and practices outside of our clinic. Our audiologists will be happy to teach you how to properly clean your ears after your professional earwax removal in order to minimize the risk of damaging your ears. But if you’re going to treat yourself at home, you should avoid cotton swabs, ear candles, and other handheld tools used to extract earwax. Instead, try removing it by:
- Cleaning your outer ears with a warm, soft cloth after bathing
- Gently rinsing your ears out with water
- Softening the wax with warmed olive oil, almond oil, or a commercial solution
Schedule an Appointment Today
Vibrant Hearing provides safe, professional earwax removal service for residents of Western Montana. Contact us to set up an appointment at our Missoula clinic.